Monday, November 15, 2010

Batteries

Ever looked for those hard to find 9 Volt rechargeable batteries? I have several wireless microphones that use 9 volts and the cost was getting a little overwhelming. So I broke down and did what I thought I'd never do. . . . I bought rechargeable 9 volt batteries. Since then I have figured out that they have saved more than the $130 that I paid for them. I used every single 9 volt on the lot during one day and night of performances. People knock the rechargeables because of claims they don't last as long. Well you know what? They don't. That is why you are supposed to charge them on a regular basis while they are being used. They will last the 3-4 hours of use during the performance when fresh one are put in. The AA batteries are the same when it comes to the life span. However the new wireless microphones that are out now use AA's and they don't suck the batteries dry the second they are put in any more. I am not saying to throw out all your alkalines. I keep some around for the occasional dead battery issues or the fact that the guy on stage doesn't really like the fact that you just put some rechargeable batteries in his mic just before the show starts. I will have to say that you will have to get used to the fact that after just about every performance with mics using the 9 volts that you will have to pull them out and recharge them(unless you have one of those cool charger docks to throw the mics in). Until I finally break down and buy new handhelds, I will be doing the recharging thing after all performances with my 9 volt mics. Most mics that use the AAs will generally last longer on the batteries because manufacturers have gotten better at making mics more energy efficient. Well that would be my take on batteries - the most used and least appreciated items that you will ever use daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment